18 September 2020

Book Beginning: Nine Lives: The Folklore of Cats by Katharine Briggs

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. We share the first sentence (or so) of the book we are reading, along with our initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.
 

The great day for the cat must be placed some two thousand years ago in Ancient Egypt, when cats enjoyed a position of special privilege, and had long held it.

 


I have loved cats for most of my life, and lived with them for many years. I don't have a feline companion at the moment, but this summer I started volunteering at Ohio Alley Cat Rescue, which is just down the street from me. We usually have 40-50 kittens and cats in residence on any day, so I can get my kitty cuddles frequently! Thus I was intrigued by the title of this book and bought it sight unseen from Powells.com, my favorite bookstore.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book before. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look and sound of this one...and I also love cats, although I don't have any right now.

    Here's mine: “CUSTODY”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! You are sooooo welcome to come and visit me as much as you want to. I'm a beautiful white kitten and I love blogging, attention from humans, salmon and my Mommy most of all.


    I was also rescued from a shelter like the one you are volunteering now.

    The book that you shared seems awesome! Who wouldn't want to know more about me and my wonderful species?

    Wishing you a lovely weekend and may you be blessed for helping all those kitties. I hope they all find humans as wonderful as my mommy.

    Here's my Weekend Book Friends #9

    ReplyDelete