04 January 2020

Book Beginning: A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr

http://www.rosecityreader.com/

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

When the train stopped I stumbled out, nudging and kicking the kitbag before me. Back down the platform someone was calling despairingly, 'Oxgodby ... Oxgodby.'



I came across this small novel by chance in a $1 bin at a charity book sale. Seeing that it was nominated for the Booker Prize and won the 1980 Guardian Prize for Fiction, I bought it. It tells a story about a World War I veteran trying to sort himself out after the war.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment